Juli Kunke grew up in Camarillo, CA, where she started acting at the age of 5. She fell in love with theatre instantly, and always knew that her career would be in the entertainment industry. She graduated from California Lutheran University with her BA in Theatre Arts, and is currently pursuing her MFA in Production Design at the American Film Institute, where she started as a "fellow" in August 2012.
It wasn’t until her sophomore year of college that she discovered her intense passion for set design. She took a scenic design class, where her professor, Nate Sinnott, instantly recognized her potential and began encouraging her to start designing. Up until that point, she was unfamiliar with the technical side of theatre, but she knew almost immediately that this was where she was supposed to be.
She became Nate Sinnott's design assistant, and over the next 2 years learned an incredible amount about the design process. As a senior at CLU, just two short years after first discovering her love of production design, she was given the opportunity to design two of CLU’s productions: Dog Sees God and The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. Juli’s Dog Sees God design was nominated to participate in the Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival (KCACTF) in February 2011, where her design made it to the finals. From that moment on, there was no going back. She had experienced firsthand that there is no greater feeling than seeing your hard work and creative visions come to life. She applied and was accepted to AFI, where she is currently enrolled in the MFA Production Design program.
* Special Recognition: I would like to express my sincere gratitude to Nate Sinnott. He recognized a talent in me that I didn’t even know existed. He has been both a mentor and a friend, and has urged me to take risks I may not have taken otherwise. He continually pushed me outside of my comfort zone and taught me how to go there on my own. He is one of the most talented people I know and I am incredibly grateful for his encouragement and support.
Thanks for checking out my design portfolio!
• Skilled model maker
• Competent in Photoshop and Vectorworks
• Proficient in Mac and Windows: MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel
• Extremely detail oriented & meticulous
• Strong organizational skills while maintaining grace under pressure
• Excellent verbal and written skills
• Internet and New Media savvy
DESIGN & PRODUCTION EXPERIENCE
• Set Designer Twelfth Night Kingsmen Shakespeare Co. Thousand Oaks, CA 2012
• Assistant Set Designer Jekyll & Hyde CLU – Thousand Oaks, CA 2012
• Assistant Set Designer Suddenly, Last Summer CLU – Thousand Oaks, CA 2011
• Assistant Set Designer The Taming of the Shrew Kingsmen Shakespeare Festival, Merchant of Venice Thousand Oaks, CA 2011
• Set Designer The 25th Annual Putnam CLU – Thousand Oaks, CA 2011 County Spelling Bee
• Director The Right to Remain CLU – Thousand Oaks, CA 2011
• Set Designer Dog Sees God CLU – Thousand Oaks, CA 2010
• Assistant Set Designer The Cherry Orchard CLU – Thousand Oaks, CA 2010
• Costume Designer Home Free! CLU – Thousand Oaks, CA 2010
• Lolita Ball Design Award “Best Designer” 2010-2011—CLU, Thousand Oaks, CA
• Design Finalist Scenic Design 2011—KCACTF, Los Angeles, CA
Muse Productions- Venice, CA Spring 2011
• Read scripts currently in production & under consideration in order to voice my opinion and provide feedback.
• Answered phones & managed other correspondence (emails, phone messages, etc.)
• Effectively handled any related office duties such as printing, scanning, copying, etc.
• Ran errands and efficiently took care of any other tasks that needed to be completed.
NBC's Access Hollywood- Burbank, CA Summer 2009
• Educated and received hands-on experience in multiple departments: post production, pre-production, filming, scripts, logging, etc
• Exposed to various facets of the entertainment industry: television, film, radio, and entertainment news.
• Attended press junkets & other marketing related events: film screening, Walk of Fame award ceremony, The Ugly Truth junket.
• Sat in on daily meetings to touch base and discuss upcoming events and stories.
American Film Institute (AFI) Conservatory MFA: Production Design 2012-2014
California Lutheran University BA: Theatre Arts 2007-2011
Nate Sinnott Professor CLU/Set/Lighting Designer email@example.com (805) 493-3375
Ken Gardner Professor CLU/Director/Academic Advisor firstname.lastname@example.org (805) 493-3863
Michael Arndt Professor CLU/Director email@example.com (805) 493-3416